Live Chat

Made a mistake on your 1099 or W-2?
Understanding the Difference between
Type 1 and Type 2 Corrections

Understanding the Difference Between Type 1 and Type 2 Corrections

If you file 1099 or W-2 forms, you may make or discover errors. Thankfully, with a little awareness and action, you can correct them quickly.

What are the most common types of errors and how do you fix them? Let’s take a closer look.

Understanding the Two Types of Errors

The errors fall under two categories, which in turn affect the corrections process:

Type 1

These errors require only one form to make the corrections.

If the original incorrect form was paper filed, you do not need to paper file the correction. Note: If you have more than 250 1099 or W-2 forms to correct, you must e-file. If you prefer to file a paper correction, use these steps:

  1. Prepare a new information return.
  2. Enter an “X” in the CORRECTED box (and optional date) at the top of the form.
  3. Enter the corrected information, such as money amounts.
  4. Include a new 1096 with an “X” in the CORRECTED box with the filed 1099, or a W-3 for the filed W-2.

Once you have your forms prepared, you will need to print and mail copies to your recipients and file paper copies with the IRS (1099) or SSA (W-2).

Note: You don’t need to include the original incorrect form. If the original form with a Type 1 error was e-filed, you must e-file a correction. can process Type 1 dollar amount corrections for 1099 and W-2 forms, no matter whether you originally e-filed with us or on another website!

When e-filing a Type 1 correction with, you can simply:

  1. Log in and select “Correction Forms” in the “Filing Center” tab.
  2. Find the form and click on the “File a Correction” link to the far right. (Please note: If the link says, “Temporarily Unavailable,” you will need to wait until the form is accepted by the IRS/SSA.) If you e-filed the original form on a different website, select the correction form from the selection of correction forms presented.
  3. Make the correction.
  4. Resubmit the form with payment.

Once you have submitted your corrected form, we will print and mail a corrected form to the recipient, and e-file the correction with the IRS/SSA.

Type 2

The process is a little more detailed with Type 2 errors, requiring two forms. When paper filing, you must:

  1. Prepare a tax information form
  2. Enter an “X” in the CORRECTED box (and optional date) at the top of the form
  3. Enter the payer, recipient and account number information exactly as it appeared on the original incorrect return; however, enter “0” for all money amounts

The second stage is to report the correct information, as follows:

  1. Prepare a second new information return as if it’s an original (so don’t enter an “X” in the CORRECTED box at the top of the form)
  2. Make all the corrections on the form, such as the fixed TIN, name and/or address
  3. Include a new 1096 or W-3 (with the words “Filed to Correct TIN,” “Filed to Correct Name and Address” or “Filed to Correct Return” in the bottom margin of the form) with the filed 1099 or W-2

For more information on Type 1 and Type 2 errors, visit IRS.GOV.

For more information on additional forms that we offer corrections for, see

Start using efile4Biz today
Free to try. You only pay when you're ready to file.