How to Make a Form 1099 Correction in a Few Simple Steps

Corrected 1099

There's an old saying: "To err is human." Fortunately, if those errors are with your 1099 or W-2 tax forms, you have an easy path to correcting them.

Let's look at the most common types of errors — and what it takes to fix them.

Understanding the Two Main Types of Errors

Type 1

  • Incorrect money amount(s), code or checked box (1099s and W-2s, boxes 1-7 only)
  • A return was filed that shouldn’t have been (1099s and W-2s)

When e-filing a Type 1 correction with efile4Biz, you can simply:

Essential Criteria with a Quality E-file Provider

  • Log in and select Correction Forms in the Filing Center tab.
  • On the Filed Forms page, filter by Form Type which form you need to make a correction. Find the form and click on the File a Correction link under the far-right Correct Errors column. (Please note: If the link says, "Temporarily Unavailable," you will need to wait until the form is accepted by the IRS/SSA.) If you e-filed the original form on a different website, select the correction form from the selection of correction forms presented.
  • Make the correction.
  • Resubmit the form with payment.

Once you have submitted your corrected form, we will e-file the correction with the IRS/SSA and print and mail a corrected form to the recipient if you select E-File, Print & Mail at check out.

Type 2

  • Missing or incorrect payee number (TIN, SSN, EIN, QI-EIN or ITIN) – 1099s only
  • Incorrect payee name – 1099s only
  • Original return filed with the wrong form (e.g. 1099-MISC to complete a 1099-DIV)
  • Duplicate W-2 forms filed under same EIN and SSN with different Social Security wage amounts. (There are different scenarios for this type of correction, contact our customer service department before submitting a correction form.)

For Type 2 errors, please contact the IRS.

Get Additional Help

To learn more about all the forms we offer corrections for, visit A Quicker, Easier Way to Handle Corrections.

Start using efile4Biz today

Free to try. You only pay when you're ready to file.